This dish is so easy and tasty and can be used as a snack, lunch, main meal or entree depending on the occasion. It also freezes well.
1 large eggplant cut length wise into 1cm pieces
1 onion diced
2 garlic cloves crushed
2 tbs olive oil
3 -4 cups fresh spinach or a 250g frozen packet
250g ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups classic tomato sauce (home made or store bought one)
Handful of mozzarella as topping
1. Grill eggplant for 20-30 mins by coating with oil and laying on baking tray. Let cool.
2. Fry up onion and garlic in a little oil till softened.
3. Add spinach and cook through.
4. Add all the cheeses and seasoning.
5. Add a heaped spoon of spinach mixture to the end of each eggplant slice.
6. Tightly roll up the eggplant so it wraps up the mixture.
7. Place each of the rolls in a baking tray.
8. Pour tomatoes sauce over the rolls and cover with foil.
9. Bake for 25 mins then remove the foil and add a handful,of grated cheese mozzarella as topping and bake for 5 more minutes.