Felt like some comfort food today for lunch so made this simple yet filling meal from some left over lentils that were in the fridge. This was a favourite when I was growing up, loved the onions on top with a dash of chilli sauce.
1 cup green/brown lentils
1 diced carrot
1 cup rice…
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 cup thinly sliced onion – I used a mixture of red and brown
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbs oil
1. Boil lentils in water till nearly soft (20mins)
2. Add the diced carrots to the nearly cooked lentils.
3. Mean while cook the rice (I did mine in the rice cooker) add the cumin to the rice as it is cooking.
4. In a fry pan cook onions in oil till caramelised. Set aside.
5. Add the drained lentils and carrots to rice and mix through.
6. Add seasoning. Top with onions and serve with chilli sauce, Greek yoghurt and a salad.