These make the best gifts not to mention the perfect treat to keep on your own kitchen bench.
1 Cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
a pinch of ground cardamom (optional)
1/2 cup of pistachios and almonds
5-8 dried apricots (roughly chopped)
2 Cups plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. In one bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder.
3. In another large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together with an electric mixer (at least for 5 minutes) until slightly thick, creamy and pale yellow.
4. Add vanilla extract, ground spice (if using), nuts and dried fruit and give it a couple of light stirs to combine.
5. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mix lightly until combined.
6. Shape into 2 loaves 3-4 cm high), bake in oven 40 mins.
7. Once cooled sliced with a shape knife to the thickness you like ( I do a combination of thinly sliced and some thicker ones that are great for dunking in a cuppa tea).
8. Re-bake the slices in oven for 5-10 minutes till nice and dry.