This cake is so tasty, the flavours get even better the next day. – great for a gluten free treat. The original recipe is from celeb chef Justine Schofield (master chef 2009 contestant).
2 large oranges or 3 small
1 cup castor sugar
1 cup almond meal (make your own by whizzing up 1 1/2 cups of almonds)
1tsp baking powder
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1. Scrub oranges and place in pot and fill with water till oranges are covered.
2. Simmer for 40 mins. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Preheat oven to 160 degrees and grease spring form tin.
4. Peel oranges and blend the flesh till you get a smooth liquid.
5. In another bowl beat eggs and sugar. Fold in almond meal and baking powder.
6. Add orange pulp. The consistency looks too runny but it will set.
7. Bake for 1hr and 15mins. Allow to completely cool before removing from tin.
8. Decorate with slivered almonds and serve with crime fraiche, yoghurt or a dollop of cream.