This was an easy dish to make instead of the usual rice side for dinner. I basically added a few of the veggies I had in the fridge, nutritious, tasty and low GI.
Ingredients: makes enough for 4 side meals
- 1 1/2 cups of freekeh
- 3 fronds of kale
- 1 sliced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- oil for frying
- Pre-cook the freekeh by adding boiling water (need a ratio of 1/2 cup grain to 2 cups of water). boil then simmer for 25 minutes
- Fry up onion and garlic till soft
- Add the mushrooms and kale and fry for a further 2 mintues or until cooked
- Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes and fry till warmed through
- Add the freekeh and mix thoroughly
- Can be served warm or cold
Freekeh is a whole green grain which on the packet boasts it is an ancient super food. It is easy to cook and tastes like a cross between rice and pearl barley. What I like about Freekah is you can make a batch a head of time and then make different dishes including lunch salads and mains depending on what you decide to add to it.