This is a great prepare ahead breakfast option shared by Hanna.
Pearl barley is an alternative porridge ingredient, but you could replace this with oats or quinoa.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 5 cups of water
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- Add pearl barley, cinnamon stick and water in a pot and bring to boil.
- Lower flame and simmer for 50mins uncovered stirring occasionally. Add more water if need be.
- Add lemon and dates and continue stirring for 15 mins
- When most of the water is absorbed add milk and turn off heat and let sit for 5 mins
Serve either hot or cold. You could also add banana or apples to this recipe. Sweeten if desired with honey or maple syrup. You can serve up in mason jars and leave in fridge for 4-5 days.